A place for inspiration, information, and celebration.

Friday, December 31, 2010

To Begin

When I was young I spoke like a child, I saw with a child's eyes
An open door was to a girl like the stars are to the skies
It's funny how the world lives up to all your expectations
With adventures for the stout of heart, the lure of open spaces

There's two lanes running down this road,whichever side you're on
Accounts for where you want to go and what you're running from
Back when darkness overtook me on a blind man's curve

I relied upon the moon
I relied upon the moon
I relied upon the moon and Saint Christopher

I've paid my dues for I have owed them, and paid a price sometimes
For being such a stubborn woman in these stubborn times
I have run from the arms of lovers, I've run from the eyes of friends
I've run from the hand of kindness, I've run just because I can

But now I'm grown and I speak like a woman and see with a woman's eyes
And an open door is to me now like the saddest of goodbyes
When it's too late for turning back I pray for the heart and the nerve

And I rely upon the moon
I rely upon the moon
I rely upon the moon and Saint Christopher
To be my guide

Mary Chapin Carpenter


For a few days now, I've been mulling over how to begin this blog. I finally chose these lyrics because to me, they express the essence of every woman's journey, the joyful and painful transitions of life. I play this song with my husband and it means a lot to both of us. You can find the original version on YouTube.

The last day of the old year. I've never been one for making resolutions, but I've been thinking for a while about setting up this blog and this seems like a fitting time to begin. I'm relying on the moon and Saint Christopher to guide me here. When it comes to writing I'm a pantser, not a plotter.

Gratitude, first and foremost. I'm blessed to have two parents who have always stood behind me, a loving partner in life, and friends who are companions of the heart as well as of the road. I'm lucky to have good health. My enlarged aorta has been stable for years, I had cataracts removed two years ago, and my hearing loss is solved by hearing aids. I've learned to laugh at short jokes and my absolute lack of a sense of direction, though not at the fact that I can never remember where I put my keys or my glasses. I'm lucky to be old enough to say to heck with what others think, and young enough to appreciate that.

I was twenty-six when I was finally karyotyped and found out I had Turner Syndrome. I remember feeling alone. I hope that other Turner women and girls will find this blog, share their stories and find strength in numbers. Laugh. Be silly. Swear. Cry if you want to.

I don't plan on putting a lot of medical information here, but I'll post links to it on my sidebar and I'll certainly try to find answers to any questions people ask. If anyone wants help deciphering medical terminology, I'll do my best.

Happy New Year, everyone. May 2011 shine a bright light on your journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment