A place for inspiration, information, and celebration.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Starting Again

I've let this blog go for quite a while, but I think it's time to revive it. This week I discovered a Facebook page for Turners Syndromw girls and women - Help Get Turner Syndrome Recognized - and I'm feeling inspired to try again to connect with the Turner Syndrome community. Looking back, I wish that as I was growing up, I'd known other girls and women with Turners. Women and girls who could assure me that I was not alone, that the future could be bright, that my "differences" did not define me. I wasn't definitively diagnosed as a Turner mosaic until my mid-twenties, so there was a fairly long period of my life where I craved answers. Though I couldn't have said so at the time, that craving for answers led me to study science, and my feeling of isolation led me to express my artistic side in words and music. At this point in my life, I'd really like to pass on the message that Turner girls and women are strong, beautiful and talented. I hope you'll feel free to use this blog as a medium for self-expression in any way you choose.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you - you are a brave lady. I have never heard of Turner Syndrome before, although now, I realize that one of my best friends in High School must have had it. She fit all your physical descriptions and even then had heart problems. Unfortunately, she moved back to Scotland and I lost track of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey! Thanks for dropping by.

    The thing with Turner's is, there's a wide spectrum of syptoms. Some girls and women have severe symptoms, and others appear "normal". Your friend may have been a Turner mosaic, like me, with few visible differences except short stature.

    ReplyDelete